AVAILABLE THROUGH US, WHILE STOCK LASTS ... COMPLETELY SOLD OUT AT MARKLIN!
PLEASE NOTE: PRICE IS PER CAR!
Prototype: Different type Ghs "Oppeln" interchange design freight cars built with welding technology, used on the German Federal Railroad (DB). Version with a short frame without a brakeman's platform or brakeman's cab.
Model: We still only have 6 of these cars available. All of the cars have different car numbers. Each of the cars comes packaged individually and marked. Length over the buffers for each car 10.4 cm / 4-1/8". DC wheel set for each car 2 x 700580.
- Completely new tooling for the "Oppeln" family of freight cars.
- Road numbers for long trains.
One-time series ... COMPLETELY SOLD OUT AT MARKLIN!
Fast Freight Cars. The general efforts to make rail service more attractive and faster also influenced the German State Railroad Company's (DRG) purchasing policy regarding freight cars. Slow freight trains blocked the increasingly faster passenger trains in many places and the utilization of the routes thereby did not achieve the desired mass. The decision was therefore made to develop new freight cars in the medium term that could run fast. A condition for increasing the speed was to improve the operational smoothness provided by the longer wheelbases. After several experiments at the beginning of the Thirties with freight cars from the "Dresden" family of cars with a wheelbase of 7.7 meters / 25 feet 3-1/8 inches, the green light was given for development of a new car type that would not cause problems in everyday use. Most of the DRG's track scales could only handle a length of 7 meters / 22 feet 11-5/8 inches, so the engineers were required to design the ideal mean for a freight car on the basis of length, speed, load capacity, and suitability for operation. The result was a car built entirely using welding technology, with a wheelbase of 7 meters / 22 feet 11-5/8 inches, a load surface of 24.2 square meters / 260.49 square feet, and a tare weight of 15 metric tons. The new car family name "Oppeln" was created for these new, fast boxcars, and 1,663 units were built between 1934 and 1937.