COMPLETELY SOLD OUT AT MARKLIN, BUT AVAILABLE THROUGH US WHILE STOCK LASTS!
Prototype 39961: German State Railroad Company (DRG) class 96.0 heavy freight locomotive. Mallet design articulated locomotive with compound drive gear consisting of high and low pressure cylinder groups. Road number 96 024.The locomotive looks as it did around 1930/31.
Prototype 48829: Four different design German State Railroad Company (DRG) freight cars. Three type R Stuttgart two-axle open freight cars with wooden stakes, without handbrakes. High capacity containers with gear for running on roads, lettered for the German State Railroad Company (DRG). One type Pwg Pr 14 freight train baggage car. The cars look as they did around 1929.
- First time with a factory-installed smoke unit.
- Brake hoses now included that can be mounted on the locomotive.
- Figures of a locomotive engineer and a fireman included.
- Type Pwg freight train baggage car includes newly designed car floor included.
- Type Pwg freight train baggage car includes new LED marker lights.
- Type R Stuttgart cars each loaded with a high capacity container with gear for running on roads.
- High capacity containers include different registration numbers.
Model 39961: The locomotive has an mfx+ digital decoder and extensive sound functions. It also has controlled, high-efficiency propulsion. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The frame is articulated to enable the unit to negotiate sharp curves. The dual headlights change over with the direction of travel. They and the smoke unit contact will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally. The locomotive has a factory-installed smoke unit. The model is constructed mostly of metal and includes numerous, separately applied details. Brake hoses are now included that can be mounted on the locomotive. Brake lines and piston rod protection sleeves are included. Figures of a locomotive engineer and a fireman are included.
Length over the buffers 20.3 cm / 8".
Model 48829: The stake cars have truss rods. All of the stake cars are each loaded with a high capacity container with gear for running on roads. Stakes that can be installed on the cars are included. The freight train baggage car has a cupola, new LED marker lights, and a pickup shoe already mounted. The high capacity containers include different registration numbers. Total length over the buffers approximately 51.5 cm / 20-1/4".
Prototype information 39961 & 48829: Starting in 1930, the German State Railroad (DRG) had to cut back its freight hauling capacity rapidly due to the global economic crisis. In 1932, it even lost money for the first time. The DRG saw one possibility for mastering the crisis in combating the competition from road traffic that had started as early as the Twenties. Chiefly freight transport by truck had already caused the DRG headaches before the global economic crisis. The German State Railroad now attempted to curtail this with very innovative ideas. It expanded and intensified the door-to-door services with Culemeyer road rollers, with standardized containers as forerunners to container transport, and with the transport of truck trailers on stake cars. The latter can rightly be seen as a forerunner to today's piggyback service where semi-truck trailers or entire rigs are transported on special railroad cars with low load heights over long routes. This innovative transport concept is clearly shown with this car set with its three "piggyback cars" as well as with the obligatory freight train baggage car. A brawny class 96 steam tank locomotive serves as the motive power. When first put into service, this locomotive laid claim as the largest and most powerful tank locomotive in Europe. As the Bavarian Gt 2x4/4, it was the crowning point of Mallet locomotive construction in Europe. It had its origin in the desire of the Bavarian State Railroad to haul considerably increased freight loads in the first years of the 20th century with only one pusher locomotive over the existing three steep routes in Bavaria/Franconia (Laufach – Heigenbrücken, Frankenwald Ramp, Schiefe Ebene). The locomotive builder Maffei therefore developed the Gt 2x4/4 by 1913 with the wheel arrangement 0-8-8-0T. The unit had two sets of running gear, each with four coupled wheelsets. The 15 units delivered in the years 1913/14 were substantially faster than and up to three times as powerful as the previously available freight locomotives thus making possible tangible savings in locomotives and crews. At their first test runs, these new locomotives showed the complete range of their capabilities: A 1,000 metric ton freight train could be hauled with a class Gt 2x4/4 pulling and a pushing locomotive in an incredible 38 instead of the previous 80 minutes from Pressig-Rothenkirchen to Steinbach a.W. In 1922/23, another order was placed for ten more units of the class Gt 2x4/4 with several design improvements. The DRG took all 25 units into its roster and gave them the road numbers 96 001-025. They were then also used partially outside of Bavaria.
One-time MHI series!